Contestant Calendar Convention home
The Soundcheck Chorus signup form is now closed. Please visit the sound check chorus page to know where to be when!
Competitor paperwork and information
Contestant briefings and information
These documents contain essential information that all contestants should be made familiar with:
Convention Contest Timetables - check you have the latest version
For 2023 medallists:
Convention evaluations - choices, choices!
For 2023, E&J are trialling offering a variety of formats for contestant evaluations as follows:
- Written evaluation - comments from each category, as for previous years, sent within 3 weeks of contest.
- Virtual evaluation - a 1-hour online meetup using zoom or equivalent, with a quartet or small team from a chorus, with a judge from each category (20 minutes each), ideally all in the same meeting if diaries allow.
- In-person evaluation - a visit from one allocated judge who will deliver the evaluation for all three categories and be able to discuss and answer questions. Note that groups selecting this option will need to pay the judge's travel expenses.
- No evaluation - groups can also opt out of receiving an evaluation if they wish.
Note that each evaluation format is mutually exclusive. For example, if you want to talk through your evaluation on a zoom call or in person, you cannot also ask for it to be in written form and sent to you afterwards.
You submitted your preference of evaluation format on the songsheet form. E&J will do their best to accommodate everyone's preference of format, however this may depend on demand and judge availability.
Stage viewing for all competing Quartets - now on THURSDAY
Due to the earlier start on Friday, there will be no opportunity for stage time on the Friday morning prior to the contest starting. There will a limited time for Quartets to have stage familiarisation between approx. 8.50pm and 9.50pm on Thursday. This will be access to the stage area from the steps in the auditorium, not from backstage, if they wish to experience the view from the stage with lighting.
Access will be managed by the Events Team and E&J, to ensure all those who wish to experience the stage have an opportunity to do so. When we know how many quartets will want this we will work out how to accommodate everyone fairly, so please email your request in advance to email@example.com by Thursday 19th October at the latest.
Please be aware that the sound check is due to finish at 8.45pm but if any issues arise, it will continue until issues are resolved; please be flexible and patient while engineers ensure there will be no issues which will affect your contest performance.
- NO singing and/or coaching of any kind will be allowed during this time, as the tech team will still be completing their setup.
- NO coaches or other persons will be admitted, only quartet competitors may enter the auditorium.
Quartet Prelims 2023
Contest venue: Blue Coat CofE School and Music College, Terry Road, Coventry CV1 2BA
HQ Hotel: Holiday Inn, Hinckley Road, Coventry CV2 2HP
LABBS Quartet Prelims
Open Youth Contest winner: Chance Encounters
Seniors Contest winner: Dams'n Jam
Top Novice Quartet: FOMO
Most Improved Quartet*: Treble in Paradise
*Highest improvement in score since Prelims 2022
Main contest placings:
1st place: Northern Soul
2nd place: Fifth & Madison
3rd place: Barberlicious
LABBS Mixed Quartet Prelims
1st place: Hot Ticket
2nd place: Forfeit
3rd place: Powerhouse
Information for Prelims participants - key points
- The results and draw for quartet semi-finals, as well as chorus and mixed quartets draws for convention, will take place shortly after the close of contest on Saturday, with placeholders drawn for those qualifying to go through to convention from the Mixed Quartet contest on Sunday.
- LABBS Quartet Prelims, including the main Quartet contest, Novice, Youth and Seniors contests will take place on Saturday 24th June.
- LABBS Mixed Quartet prelims will take place on Sunday 25th June.
- Coaching sessions for LABBS Quartets are on Sunday 25th June, starting promptly at 10am, be there early!
- Relevant full information and paperwork to be returned will be posted on this page, so please check back regularly to make sure you've done everything in good time.
- On Saturday evening there will be a Quartet party, hosted by IN HOUSE, at the HQ hotel (Holiday Inn). The theme is "IN HOUSE School Disco" - uniform optional - from 8pm, with games, singing, a raffle and dancing. If your quartet would like to sing 1 song to the gathering, please fill out this form by Weds 21st June.
Contest related information and forms for all prelims contestants
Later on in the year Songsheet submission forms (for you to declare what you are going to sing, including copyright information, plus provide your announcement details) will be added on this page for convention competitors, as well as the latest contest timetables and contestant briefings.
- updated for 2023 contest cycle
Contest & Judging Handbook
- Including category descriptions detailing what judges are looking for.
It is also recommended to check your songs are in line with the advice on the Good Taste
page, provided by the Performance Category.
Other convention-related forms and useful information for LABBS members
- Look up what you scored in previous years and track your progress (or use to look for song ideas!).
- Written by LABBS judges, a handy guide to skillsets usually experienced at each level and what you might need to work on and improve, to become better singers and performers and score higher in contest.
Trophies & Awards
- A guide to the trophies and awards on offer in LABBS contests and the criteria for each.
Is this page missing some vital information? Let us know... email firstname.lastname@example.org